Monday, March 14, 2011

Lenten Sacrifice

I was struck by the priest's sermon in Church yesterday.  He talked about making small sacrifices to make Lent more meaningful to us.  It doesn't have to be anything big or grand.  It can be as simple as shortening your daily internet time from, say, four hours to just an hour.  I never really made any Lenten sacrifice before -- to think I was practically brought up by the Assumption nuns for more than half of my life!  But it's never too late.  Our family has received so many blessings these past years: living in Bangkok, my sister passed the boards, etc.  There's no better time to make my Lent more meaningful than now.  I have so much to be thankful for.
a
a
Sooo, I'm putting it down here because I feel that by doing so I'm bound to my word.  I announced it to Richard and Aly after Mass yesterday as well.  I'm going to make two sacrifices for Lent: #1 I will stop buying make-up until Easter Sunday.  It may sound shallow to others.  If only you knew how often and how much make-up I've been buying these days.  Making this sacrifice will be the best way to curb my product addiction.  I have six weeks to enjoy the ones that I already have and I can use my allowance on a much-needed haircut and color plus a massage!  On the brighter side, I can also save money for a big shopping binge come Easter Sunday.  Heehee!  Until then, I can only look, not buy.  I did a farewell walk (feeling Ms. Universe haha!) at the beauty counters in Central Chidlom yesterday.  Richard and Aly thought it was ridiculous but they know I'm dramatic like that.  Sabi pa nga ni Aly, "mommy, what if they come out with a limited edition and you can't buy?"  She's obviously referring to my MAC Wonder Woman episode.  I didn't know what to say because I don't really know what to do if that happens.  I'm just crossing my fingers it won't happen.    
a
a
#2 No chocolates.  For.  Six.  Weeks.  This is going to be a tough one with Aly's birthday coming up.  She prefers chocolate cake over vanilla so it looks like I won't be having any cake on her birthday.  Plus, I saw this cute mini-chocolate fountain at Central yesterday and I planned to include it in the after-school birthday party.  That's going to be sheer torture!  Why do I like to do things the hard way?  But I can do this.  I SHOULD see this thing through.  Lord, help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment